EPIC Architecture and Multimedia
Instruction Sets for
Author: Jacques-Olivier Haenni
Thesis director: Prof. Eduardo Sanchez
This PhD thesis (in french) can be download either in PDF (2.3 MB) or in Postscript (9.7
This thesis is at the intersection of three different domains:
The main achievements of the thesis are:
- the EPIC processor architecture, and more precisely the IPF processor
family from HP and Intel,
- the multimedia instruction sets, and especially IPF's and PowerPC G4's
- cryptographic algorithms, namely IDEA and RC6.
- study and comparison of multimedia instruction sets, and, especially IPF's
and PowerPC G4's ones (Altivec);
- study, implementation, and simulation of the cryptographic algorithms IDEA
and RC6 on Itanium and PowerPC G4, and a comparison of the
experimentally-meseared performance with current implementations;
- development of the noptimization and its implementation in SGI's
- theoretical study and simulation, using an ad hoc tool developped
during this thesis, of the cryptographic algorithms IDEA and RC6 on McKinley;
- study of McKinley bottlenecks limiting the performance of these algorithms;
- study of the problem which now cause the compiler to be unable to exploit
the multimedia instructions and proposition of some solution to these problems.
This work is supported by Hewlett-Packard.
This thesis is part of EPFL research project number 1996.2.
- February 10th, 1999: Compilation techniques for VLIW processors, LSL internal presentation (pdf, 263kB)
- March 25th, 1999: HP - LSL Project: Benefits of EPIC Architecture for Multimedia Applications, LSL internal presentation (pdf, 1.33MB)
- June 24th, 1999: Benefits of EPIC Architecture for Multimedia Applications, LSL internal presentation (pdf, 916kB)
- December 1st, 1999: Jeux d'instructions multimédia, LSL internal presentation (pdf, 3.4MB)
- June 7th, 2000: Implémentation de IDEA sur la famille de processeurs IA-64, LSL internal presentation (pdf, 1.4MB)
- October 25th, 2000: The EPIC architecture and a noptimization, LSL internal presentation (pdf, 1 MB)
- March 2nd, 2001: Benefits of EPIC Architecture for Multimedia Applications: the noptimization, LSL - HP internal presentation (pdf, 515 kB)
- February 7th, 2002: Benefits of EPIC
Architecture for Multimedia Applications, PhD private presentation (pdf, 4.6 MB)
- April 17th, 2002: Architecture EPIC
et jeux d'instructions multimédias pour applications cryptographiques,
PhD public presentation (pdf,
1 IPF (Itanium Processor Family) is the current name of the
formely-named IA-64 processor architecture.
Last update: April 19th, 2002